Monday, May 14, 2007

Core Values

While my family was gone to Montana and I had some free time alone to think and ponder. One of the financial audiobooks I'm listening to recommends setting five core values and make goals to achive those values. A financial goal to make $1 million dollars is not a good goal unless it reinforces a value such as financial security or freedom from debt. So here is my attempt to document my values:

1. God (Service in and out of the church, prayer, scripture study, temple attendance)
2. Family (Raise my children, spend quality time, build my marital bond and relationship, vacations)
3. Financial Freedom (Ability to retire early, travel, serve another mission, be charitable, cabin)
4. Education/Culture/Arts (Plays, museums, operas, travel, site seeing, drawing, photography, lifetime learning)
5. Nature (Hiking, camping, skiing, gardening, cabin, photography, travel)
6. Health (Exercise, eating right)

Now the next step is to have my spouse make her values and based on the two sets of values, make goals that will help to achieve those values. The audiobook makes the point that far too many couples never discuss finances or perform goal planning together (or even at all) and it often causes mid-life crisi and broken marriages since the spouses are moving to two different life targets.

No comments: